Emergency Dental Care
We offer free emergency dental exams in Jacksonville & Orange Park, FL. We accept walk-ins or contact our office right away for a same-day appointment. Dental sedation is offered for emergency dental visits to ensure a pain free and minimal stress experience.
Free Emergency Dental Exams
Normandy Lake Dentistry is now offering free emergency dental exams at all three of our Florida locations. Please contact any of our offices as soon as possible if you believe you are having a dental emergency.
What Is A Dental Emergency?
Dental emergencies are any dental issues requiring immediate attention to stop bleeding, preserve a tooth, address a serious infection, or alleviate intense pain. It’s crucial to note that severe infections or tooth abscesses carry potential life-threatening risks. In the event that we cannot be reached, seek urgent care at the nearest medical facility.
If any of the following statements apply to you, you are having a dental emergency and should contact us immediately.
- I had a tooth knocked out.
- My tooth has been chipped or cracked.
- My mouth is bleeding and won’t stop.
- I’m in extreme pain or am experiencing severe swelling in my gums, mouth, or jaw.
- I have a toothache and swelling in my cheeks or face.
- My jaw is injured.
- My teeth are extremely sensitive and the sensitivity will not subside.
- My tooth is loose or out of alignment.
How Quickly Can I Come In?
Walk-ins are welcome! At Normandy Lake Dentistry, we try our best to fit you in our schedule without much wait. Our goal is to see patients and provide emergency treatment the same day. You can schedule an appointment online or contact either of our locations for an emergency appointment. If it is outside of our office hours (Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m and Tuesday, Thursday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m) or we were unable to answer the phone, please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible.
Home Care for Dental Emergencies
What if my tooth gets knocked out?
- Pick up the tooth by the top (crown), NOT by the root—do not touch the root.
- Rinse the tooth very gently with only water, no soaps or chemicals. Do NOT scrub the tooth.
- If possible, place the tooth back into the socket. Gently push it in with your fingers then hold it in place while trying to bite down.
- If you can’t place the tooth back into the socket, put it in a container with milk.
- Contact your dentist right away—the faster you act, the more likely it is that your tooth will be able to be reimplanted.
What if my tooth is loose but still attached?
If you have a loose tooth or a tooth out of alignment, contact us right away to get an appointment setup as soon as possible. You can try to put the tooth back in its original position by very gently positioning the tooth with your fingers—do not force it. We will advise on if there is anything else you should do in the meantime, prior to your appointment.
What if I have a chipped or cracked tooth?
If you have a chipped or cracked tooth, contact your dentist right away. Chipped teeth that aren’t painful can usually be smoothed out or filled in at a regular dental appointment. A cracked tooth typically indicates that there’s damage to the inside of the tooth, as well as the outside. If your tooth is cracked please follow these steps, after contacting your dentist.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water
- Apply a cold compress to minimize swelling
- Take acetaminophen (not aspirin) to alleviate pain
- Do NOT apply any pain medication—including Orajel—directly to the gums, as it can damage gum tissue
Dental Emergency Specialists
At Normandy Lake Dentistry, we have general dentists capable of providing an extensive array of services, from tooth extractions to root canals. Additionally, we have an in-house oral surgeon who is available to handle procedures such as wisdom teeth removal, dental implants, and various other surgical procedures.